Long-Range Regional Transit Plan
Pima Association of Governments (PAG) is currently developing a Long-Range Regional Transit Plan to guide informed decisions that can enhance the public's ability to get around our region using public transportation. The plan will focus on a “frequency first” approach consistent with the PAG 2015 Future Transit Vision and will build on the existing Frequent Transit Network. The Choices Report (see link at right) provides an overview of the existing regional transit system and descriptions about transit design choices and efficiency.
The objectives of the plan are to:
- Establish a long-term strategic vision for the regional transit system.
- Estimate future transit demand and identify services gaps.
- Understand the long-term financial outlook and system improvement costs.
- Reinforce and build on the Frequent Transit Network.
Public involvement has been and continues to be an important part of the plan development process. Input from regional workshops and open houses has provided valuable direction to PAG transit planning staff. PAG, in conjunction with member jurisdictions and consultant Jarrett Walker and Associates, undertook an intensive design workshop in January 2019 to develop the core recommendations of the plan. Please review the full draft plan (see link at right) for details regarding the following recommendations:
- Enhance the Frequent Transit Network
- Frequent service seven days a week and more evening service
- Targeted service improvements to suburban transit routes
- Infrastructure improvements supporting speed, reliability and service quality
No new transit funding has been identified as part of the process to develop a draft plan. If funding becomes available, the improvements identified in the plan can serve as building blocks to a more robust regional transit system.
The final plan is expected to be published in early 2020 following review and approval by the PAG Regional Council.
Long-Range Regional Transit Plan (Draft) Jan. 2020
Transit Choices Report (Full Report) November 2018
Long-Range Regional Transit Plan Open House: August 2019 - Supporting Visuals
Plan Regional de Transporte Público de largo plazo: Agosto 2019 - Ayudas Visuales
Long-Range Regional Transit Plan Stakeholder Workshop: October 2018 - Supporting Visuals